My Certified Mail shows as Mailed. What does this mean?
You are able to track the entire process of Certified Mail you create from your LetterStream account - from job creation to successful delivery, and all other status in between.
LetterStream cannot guarantee the success of Delivery or timeliness to your intended recipients, since this is dependent upon the USPS. We do however offer real time transit status and tracking of each piece of Certified Mail, provided directly from the USPS.
Here is a breakdown of what the various status levels:
- Mailed: Your Certified Mail has been printed, inserted into envelopes, and given to the USPS for processing and attempt of delivery. This begins the transit stage of your Certified Mail. Mailed pieces shouldn't be confused with Delivered mail.
- In Transit: Your Certified Mail is in the hands of USPS. At this point we are at the mercy of the USPS in regards to a successful delivery to the intended recipient.
- Delivery Attempted: Successful delivery to the intended recipient has been attempted. The Post Office likely left notice of attempted delivery with the recipient with instructions on how the item can be received.
- Unclaimed By Recipient: After attempts of delivery are unsuccessful, and the recipient does not make an attempt to receive the item, the status is changed to Unclaimed By Recipient.
- Refused By Recipient: If the intended recipient refuses to accept and/or sign for the mail piece, the status is changed to Refused By Recipient and is returned to the sender.
- Returned To Sender: In the event the mail piece is undeliverable due to a bad address, recipient no longer at the address etc., the status is changed to Returned To Sender.
- Delivered: Your Certified Mail was successfully delivered to the recipient, and a signature was acquired. Once this status is achieved, you can view the signature by clicking the View link to the right of the status indicators for each recipient.
Additionally, you will see 3 status boxes next to each recipient. These are color coded by status.
See below for the color that represents the corresponding status:
- White - No action has occurred
- Lime Green - Recent status update successful
- Light Yellow - Unclaimed/Business Closed
- Orange - Out for Delivery/Attempted
- Violet - Forwarded
- Pink - Returned to Sender
- Dark Green - Returned (2nd box will be pink)
- Red - Refused (2nd box will be pink)
These rules are applied to the tracking status bar at the top of the page as well.