Tracking Certified Mail
You are able to track the entire process of Certified Mail you create from your LetterStream account - from job creation to successful delivery, and all other statuses in between.
LetterStream cannot guarantee the success of delivery or timeliness to your intended recipients, since that is fully dependent upon the USPS. We do, however, offer real time tracking updates of each piece of Certified Mail, provided directly from the USPS website.
If you have any questions about your tracking information, signature files, or whether or not a letter has been delivered, we recommend that you contact the USPS directly to see if they are able to provide you with any additional information.
Here is a breakdown of what the various status levels typically mean:
- Mailed: We have printed, inserted, sealed, and handed your mail over to the USPS for delivery. This begins the transit stage of your Certified Mail. Mailed jobs within your LetterStream account shouldn't be confused with delivered letters. We "mail" your letters, but the USPS delivers them.
- In Transit: Your Certified Mail is in the hands of USPS. At this point we are at the mercy of the USPS in regards to a successful delivery to the intended recipient.
- Delivery Attempted: Successful delivery to the intended recipient has been attempted. The Post Office likely left notice of attempted delivery with the recipient with instructions on how the item can be received.
- Unclaimed By Recipient: After attempts of delivery are unsuccessful, and the recipient does not make an attempt to receive the item, the status is changed to Unclaimed By Recipient.
- Refused By Recipient: If the intended recipient refuses to accept and/or sign for the mail piece, the status is changed to Refused By Recipient and is returned to the sender.
- Returned To Sender: In the event the mail piece is undeliverable due to a bad address, recipient no longer at the address etc., the status is changed to Returned To Sender.
- Delivered: Your Certified Mail was successfully delivered to the recipient, and a signature was acquired. Once this status is achieved, you can view the signature by clicking the View link to the right of the status indicators for each recipient.
Additionally, you will see 3 status boxes next to each recipient within your LetterStream account.. These are color coded by status.
See below for the color that represents the corresponding status:
- White - No action has occurred
- Lime Green - Recent status update successful
- Light Yellow - Unclaimed/Business Closed
- Orange - Out for Delivery/Attempted
- Violet - Forwarded
- Pink - Returned to Sender
- Dark Green - Returned (2nd box will be pink)
- Red - Refused (2nd box will be pink)
These rules are applied to the tracking status bar at the top of the page as well.